SPIRITUALLY INCLUSIVE MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELING IN ROCHESTER, NY
SPIRITUAL GUIDANCE/SPIRITUAL DIRECTION
A spiritual director functions as a guide by pointing out where she sees the Spirit moving in your life. A spiritual guide will not fix, advise or change you. Spiritual direction/guidance is not therapy. If you need spiritually informed therapy we also offer spiritual/ pastoral counseling with licensed mental health practioners who can incorporate your spiritual resources and religious beliefs into the counseling sessions on request. (See more details in next section.)
Licensed Therapists who are trained in pastoral counseling :
A SPIRITUAL/PASTORAL COUNSELING SESSION:
- Always explores ways that spiritual resources can guide a person in healing or addressing life issues
- Never involves proselytizing. Can include prayer. Always psychologically grounded.
- Always supports the client’s own values and belief system whether that is Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, earth-centered traditions, New Age practices, religious humanism or a spiritual, but non-religious perspective.
- Sometimes focuses on other issues, and incorporates spirituality to aid in treatment and healing.
- Is always safe, affirming and non-judgmental. Sometimes focuses on spiritual themes and issues in a person’s life.
- Is incorporated into the treatment plan if a client chooses.
Our therapists are trained in a wide variety of therapeutic modalities and use the most appropriate method to fit your needs and goals.
Our Services Are:
- Culturally sensitive for people of various racial and cultural groups.
- Spiritually sensitive for people from a wide variety of religious and spiritual traditions.
- Affirming of diverse gender identifies and sexual orientation.
- Culturally sensitive for people who are deaf and hard of hearing including use of American Sign Language.
Concerns People Often See Us For:
- Issues of life meaning
- Living up to personal values
- Living up to community values
- Spiritual distress
- Religious or spiritual wounds
- Spiritual dimensions of current life struggles
- Clergy Struggles
- Church or congregation conflict
- Pre-Marital Counseling
- Spiritual Direction
- Clergy couple issues